Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Course structure and options

The course I will be teaching is supposed to touch on four major topics in 16 weeks. Those being GIS, GPS/field data collection, remote sensing, and a tiny bit of Python at the end of the semester. Lots of info to cover, but I have to do it superficially enough not to overwhelm - yet with enough detail to provide a foundation.

With such a broad, yet connected set of topics, I'm left wondering what the best method is for assessing student abilities and understanding? I could offer four, well three really, distinct modules with exams at the end of each; I could structure it such that the course attempted to flow thereby presenting perhaps a late midterm exam and a final project; or I could build a project based course with "check-in" points throughout the semester.

Decisions, decisions. I want to be able to assess that the students (undergraduates) are learning the material - but, at the same time, I'm not a big "test" person myself. I would rather have a hands-on exam/project to assess my abilities than a regurgitation of theory (but, the theory is also important). Of course it can be argued that if a project is completed properly, the understanding of theory will present itself.

Another question... should I expect that the students, younger undergrads for the most part, have the ability to take the initiative to develop a worthy semester project? Something that will take foresight from essentially the first week of class. I honestly think as an undergrad I could have done it, and likely enjoyed it, but I was weird.

So... what is the best method, or is there technically a "best" method? Sometimes a class like this makes teaching algebra or calculus simple. You have a clearly defined set of questions you can ask and projects aren't really a option (generally speaking).

ETA: The course is a 4-credit undergraduate course w/ lab sections and ~65 students. At the end of today I'm leaning towards 11 assignments (that correspond to 14 required labs), six quizzes, one late-season midterm, and one final project. I'll have to sleep on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finally, a Story Map.

I've been threatening to really dive into Esri Story Maps for some time. They have, in all honesty, been around for a number of years a...